Home Remedies for common cold & Allergic Rhinitis, their causes, differences and Ayurvedic Treaments
Common cold and Allergic Rhinitis (also known as Hay fever or Seasonal rhinitis or perennial rhinitis) are the most common conditions that affects most of the population.Common cold (also known as naso pharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis, acute coryza or a cold) is caused due to Viral infection of the upper respiratory system, whereas Allergic Rhinitis is caused due to allergens like Pollen, Animal hair, Dust mite, cockroach, pillows. Although the symptoms are similar there are few differential diagnosis that helps us in finding out whether it is a common cold or an allergy.
Hay fever is a seasonal allergic rhinitis which usually triggers in the spring, summer or early winter and is also known as seasonal Rhinitis. It is usually caused due to the airborne triggering factors like pollens or mould spores.
Hay fever is a very common condition and affects 1 in 5 people in Australia.Perennial Rhinitis is caused all over the year and is usually caused due to the allergens that is always present like dust mite, animal hairs, cleaning agents.
What is the most common differences between common cold and Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever)
- Common cold is infectious whereas Hay fever is not contagious.
- Unlike Common cold which has a gradual onset of symptoms and slow progression, Hay fever has a sudden onset of symptoms.
- Common cold usually recover within 14 days while hay fever or allergic rhinitis is reduced with the prevention of allergens.
- Symptoms of common cold may include Running nose, cough, fatigue, and rarely with fever.
- Allergic Rhinitis, the most common symptoms are sudden onset of Runny or stuffy nose, Itching and watery eyes, sore throat and sometimes coughing and fatigue.
Ayurvedic Treatment for cold/Allergic Rhinitis/Hay Fever
According to Ayurveda, Common cold or seasonal cold is known as Pratishaya. The main Doshas involved are Kapha and pitta along with increased toxins (Ama) in the body.The treatment depends on the dosha predominant.
- If its Vata predominant then symptoms are Dry Cough, Hoarseness of Voice, headache.
- If Pitta is predominant then the symptoms will be runny nose, yellowish phlegm, burning sensation, fever, fatigue.
- Kapha dominant colds shows symptoms like heaviness of the body,thick expectorant, bodyAches, tiredness.
- The Anti allergen medicines are considered for allergic rhinitis / hay fever along with Digestive drugs.
- In cases of Chronic Cold or Allergy, purificatory treatment plays a very important role.
- Nasya, Shirodhara, Virechana etc are chosen based on the Dosha involved
Home Remedies for Cold or Allergic Rhinitis/Hay Fever
- Turmeric acts as a good anti allergen.Add 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder to 1 glass of warm milk and take it twice a day.
- Take a piece of turmeric and ignite it and inhale the fumes from the turmeric. This helps to remove the phlegm from the upper respiratory system and reduces Kapha (phlegm) and clears the channel.
- Inhalation of steam helps in clearing the channels and relieves the nasal congestion. Water boiled with eucalyptus leaves or oil is used for inhalation.
- Gargling with warm salt water( I tsp of common salt to 1 glass of water) acts as an antibacterial and reduces throat infection and reduces phlegm.
- Ginger is decongestant, expectorant and has antibacterial and antiviral actions. Juice of Ginger mixed with honey has to taken followed by sipping of hot water helps in relieving the symptoms.
- Juice of Shallots is mixed with honey also reduces the phlegm ,congestion of nasal cavity.
- Take equal quantity of Pepper powder, ginger powder, cumin seeds, cardamon and cinnamon all powdered and administered with sugar candy or Honey twice a day.